- Is a free, voluntary & confidential service.
- Is to help you gain understanding and insight into the difficulties faced.
- Is to identify, modify & strengthen your own personal resources and cope.
- Is to assist & enable you to fulfil your personal & academic potential.
- Provides unconditional acceptance.
- Provides opportunity to be heard empathetically.
Some reasons to seek counselling:
- Suicidal thoughts
- Behavioural problems like: relationship difficulties, low self-esteem, overcoming bad habits, difficulties faced with adjustment in university & issues related to study.
- Or any other reason of your own.
All information shared in counselling is held in strict confidence and is not shared with anyone without your consent, except when:
- Clear & imminent danger is indicated, either to yourself or others, or
- There is an indication of abuse of a minor (age 18 or under), or
- A court subpoena is received.
- The sessions are 40-50 minute in length.
- The 1st session is an intake session where one’s background information is gathered and the nature of problem/concern is identified.
- After an intake & consent, counselling process starts.
- Usual progression of counselling is approx. 1-3 sessions. Furthermore, 3-10 sessions may be required to help you find some direction, strategies and resolutions.
Students & Staff of FNU are free to avail Counselling Services On prior appointment, between 8 am – 5 pm, at the following locations: