|School of Education|
The School of Education is dedicated to providing high quality teacher education programmes to prepare graduates to be effective teachers in schools in Fiji and beyond. This is based on our commitment to ensure that the educational experiences of all school children in every community are extremely relevant and reflect our high standards of excellence.
In order to make this a reality and therefore achieve a just and equitable education system for all children, we offer a diverse range of educational programs at early childhood, primary, secondary and tertiary levels. The programme contents and strategies for preparing professional teachers are innovative, socially responsive, research based and subscribe to best practice. These programmes lead to the award of certificates, diplomas, undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in the field of education.
Some of these programmes are designed for students who will work with adult learners.
The teacher education programmes of the School of Education are:
1. Teacher’s Certificate III in Technical Vocational Education and Training (TCTVET)
2. Higher Education Certificate in Early Childhood Education
3. Certificate III in Aged Care
4. Certificate III in Child Care
5. Diploma in Sports Science
6. Higher Education Diploma in Education (Primary)
7. Higher Education Diploma in Education (Secondary)
8. Bachelor of Education in Technical and Vocational Education and Training B. Ed[TVET]
9. Bachelor of Education (Primary)
10. Bachelor of Education (Secondary) (double majors with choice of subjects: English, Hindi, Fijian, History, Geography, Maths, Physics, Accounting, Economics, Physical Education, Music, Art & Craft, Biology, Chemistry, Agricultural Sciences, Home Economics, and Industrial Arts)
11. Graduate Certificate in Education
12. Post Graduate Diploma in Education
13. Master of Education
The academic staff members of the School of Education are acutely aware of the continuing need for educators and teachers to be familiar with current initiatives and practices in the field of education and to be competent, confident and reflective as professionals in a range of educational environments and in the wider community. This is essential for the promotion of learning professional and ethical conduct and practice of citizens in our society.
There is a sustained initiative to establish strong educational partnerships, especially with school communities including those that exist in the remote and rural regions in Fiji. This enables a close relationship with the teacher education programme’s school component, which involves teaching practice and provides pre-service professional experiences for the students as well as assessments of their professional competence.
The Department of Community Education will develop programmes that are intended to improve the quality of life of the wider cross section of our communities. The primary objective of these programmes is to promote the capacity of learners to acquire skills that are necessary for the care needs of the ageing population; people with developmental disabilities; and children in need of child care.
The Department of Sports Education is the only one of its kind in Fiji that offers a wide range of programmes in the field of Sports, ranging from Physical Education and Health, Recreation and Leisure Studies, to areas of specific skills for those who may wish to pursue a career in coaching, sports training, physiotherapy and so forth.We are always ready to provide information about all our programmes and new initiatives in the field of education.
Professor Vinod Gupta
Head of School
School of Education